Saturday, March 29, 2008

the world of pectin

One of my new year's resolutions was to make jelly. And tonight was the night. My "Canning For Dummies" book is now overdue at the library- so I figured the time to make this jelly was over due too.

I found a "simple" recipe using frozen strawberries and forged ahead. I put the little jars in hot water. I imagined glass bursting.

This was the strawberry mixture. I poured in enough sugar to send all of Missouri into insulin shock. Stirred and waited for the "boil." Hoping this moten glob wouldn't mimic the Brady Bunches volcano projects.

We don't have proper equipment. And I couldn't find the nice big white stock pot that we made chili in before we got the new crock pot. So this project took a little jimmy rigging. Notice the wire hangers filling in for something called the jar rack.


And here is the first four jars of our bounty. We have to wait a bit to see if the jars really did seal. Then of course we'll have to break a seal to see what in the world the jelly taste like. It's a wild Saturday night at Myers house!



The critters just love having the love seat near the window. I discovered them all lounging together this afternoon. Notice Jack is just next door on the couch recovering from a sleep over at his friend Brant's.