Sunday, May 24, 2009

Remembering

Memorial Day is one of my favorite holidays. It was always a big deal to my Grandma Gerty too. She had a lot of death when she was young. Her Dad died in the big flu epidemic that struck in 1918. She was just 2 months old. Then her Mom died of ovarian cancer when she was 12. I inherited her Memorial Day gig. 21 graves. This year Deb and Erin shared in the duty.


It's a bit amazing that nearly all of my family is buried in just two country cemeteries. Three generations of Grotjans, Botts and Newsoms.

It's still very new to us to visit our beloved Grandma's graves. Especially Granny's. Feels like we should be bringing them a malt from the Dottie Delight and not flowers to decorate their graves stones.

And even the memories of going to the cemetery is one that we shared often with each of our grandma's. I wonder where it will fall in Erin's memories of child hood.