Saturday, February 9, 2008

Friday was a very bad day. My Granny's condition is worsening and my Dad refused to let my sister and I visit her. There will be a special place in hell for him and his witch of a wife for denying my Granny this bit of love. Please pray for my sister and I.

I went ahead and attended the church dinner tonight. It's a benefit for youth and youth ministries. It featured a chinese new year theme complete with a chinese dinner, silent auction and a quarter fortune auction. They'd announce an item and if you were interested you put quarters in a vase and then held up your paddle. If they called your number and you had quarters in the vase you won. John works on Friday nights so I went stag. (wonder if they still call it that?) This is my table of fellow football, Underwood and confirmation folks bidding for a Waldo pizza. One of the things that I like about our new church, Grace United Methodist, is that they really take serious their efforts to develop faith in children.


My former church Woods Chapel United Methodist just didn't get it. They decreased the number of children's rooms (and we live in a community that has to build a new elementary school every year to accomidate the number of families moving into our community) in their building campaign at a time when we couldn't recruit teachers because of the overcrowding of the current rooms, had 4 different children's ministry directors in less than 2 years and 5 different directors who handled 5th and 6th graders in the same time period (and who instead of recognizing that this a prime age for faith formation saw them as a royal pain in the neck who didn't fit in anywhere within the youth structure). See why I'm so glad to be gone! Just reason #32 of how frustrating it was. Grace seems to authentically care about kids, it's a true part of the DNA and fabric of the church community.

Jackson was still sick today. But at least he's starting to feel human again. Deb sent him the peg game that he enjoys from Cracklebarrel. And he spent the day with his trusty side kick Brady by his side. He kept saying that everything tasted like cold or warm mush. But last night nibbled on some Sonic popcorn chicken and enjoyed his beloved cherry slushy which I paid for with the remainder of my roll of quarters! Well, I had to spend them somewhere huh!